Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shell Lace Crochet Scarf (With Free Pattern)

Ages ago I posted that I had finished two projects.  One of them still hasn't been given to the person it's intended for, so I still can't post about it, but the other is my crocheted scarf.  Yesterday morning I made myself sit down with Stitch'N Bitch Crochet - The Happy Hooker, which explains how to sew in the ends (hey, I'm new at this!  None of the other beginner's crochet books tell you how to do this, by the way, so yay Debbie Stoller!), and actually do it.  I'm convinced I'm going to get a hairball from threading the needle, but it's done.


Isn't it pretty?  I'm really proud of this because it's my first project and it went so well and I can actually use it.  I taught myself to crochet about a week before I started this, and it only took me a week of evenings to finish it (and about three weeks to get around to sewing in the ends).  It has a base chain of 31 st, and is ~ 18cm by 184cm.

The pattern is really simple:
V:  1tr, 2ch, 1tr
Shell:  5tr

Multiple of 5st + 4
(add 2 for base chain)
Row 1:  V into 8th ch from hook.  *3ch, skip 4ch, V, repeat from *, ending in 2ch, skip 2ch, 1tr into last ch, turn.
Row 2:  3ch, *Shell into 2ch sp of next V, repeat from * ending in 1tr into 5th of 7 ch at beginning of previous row, turn.
Row 3:  5ch, V into middle tr of first Shell.  *3ch, V into middle tr of next Shell, repeat from *, ending in 2ch, 1tr into 3rd of 3ch at beginning of precious row, turn.
Row 4:  3ch, *Shell into 2ch sp of next V, repeat from * ending in 1tr into 3rd of 5ch at beginning of previous row, turn.
Repeat rows 3 and 4 until desired length is achieved.
 

Sorry about the quality of the chart, I did it myself on a piece of refill and scanned it in because I couldn't find a program on the internet that makes crochet charts (for free).  If you know of any, let me know and I'll redo it!

I found a variation of this pattern in Basic Crochet Stitches by Erika Knight*, where you alternate Shells and Vs on a row, then carry on Shell-ing into Vs and V-ing into Shells.  It's denser because it needs fewer ch (the Shell becomes the ch between two Vs):

(Click on the image for a bigger version)

*The entry on Mighty Ape for this book has a different cover picture to the one I'm looking at, so I'm not 100% sure it's the right book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...