Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chicken Burritos

A few weeks ago, I caught some of Rachael Ray (whose show I used to really enjoy, but she's become more yelly and less cooky) and she had some women on who were competing for the best slow cooker dish.  I don't remember who won, but two women used their crock pot to make burrito filling.  I thought this was a great idea, and went about replicating it (without actually using their recipes - I don't trust Rachael Ray recipes since the infamous lemon chicken disaster), and this is what I found.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Filling (adapted from this recipe)
½ t minced chilli (from a jar)
1 t minced garlic (from a jar)
2 onions, chopped
1-2 t each of:  ground cumin seeds, paprika (hot or mild, not smoked), dried oragano
½ t sugar
¼ t salt
2 free-range chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
1 tin chopped tomatoes (don't get flavoured ones just so you don't have to use the spices, that's just cheating!)
1 tin red kidney beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 capsicum (I like green), cut into strips

When you put all of the ingredients into the crock pot, be sure to put the carrot on the bottom so that it cooks through and softens.  Whenever you put vegetables into a crock pot, this is what you should do. Also, I mixed the powders and pastes, and then mixed some of the tomatoes in with them so that they didn't just sit on top of everything.  Other than that, just put everything in, and set it to high for about 4-5 hours, or low for 8.  Give it a bit of a stir when you get home before leaving it until dinner time, to make sure the chicken is falling apart, and there's not too much liquid.  If there is a lot of liquid, try taking the lid off and putting the crock pot on high.  It doesn't really matter, if you don't mind getting juice all down your arm (which happened to us).

To serve, take the crock to the table, heat up tortillas in the frying pan, oven, or microwave, and let everyone make their own, with cheese, lettuce or your favourite green leaf mix, and a little sour cream.  Or a lot.  I like a lot.

I have no photo because we ate them far too quickly.  But I'm sure you will trust me when I say they were yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...